Irvine, Calif. — TODAY, Dave Min, UC Irvine law professor and candidate for California’s 37th State Senate District, was endorsed by California State Assemblymember Patrick O’Donnell, a former Long Beach City Councilmember and teacher with over 20 years of classroom experience. O’Donnell’s endorsement- which highlights Min’s committment to strengthening public education – comes on the heels of Min’s announcement that he raised over $100,000 in less than one month since announcing his candidacy. Assm. O’Donnell joins the growing ranks of notable leaders who have declared their support for Dave Min, including U.S. Congressional Representatives Ted Lieu, Alan Lowenthal, Judy Chu, Scott Peters, and Mark Takano; California Democratic Party Secretary Jenny Bach; the Newport-Mesa teachers; and many others.
“Dave Min has my endorsement for SD37 because he’s dedicated to using his policy expertise to improve educational opportunities and outcomes for our students, increase funding for our classrooms, and give teachers the fair pay and respect they deserve,” said O’Donnell. “As a teacher, I trust that Dave will be the advocate that public school students, teachers, and parents need in Sacramento.”
“I am humbled to receive the support of Assm. O’Donnell, who has been a strong voice in support quality public education for all Californian students,” said Min. “He has worked tirelessly to strengthen our educational system in service of students of all backgrounds – I look forward to partnering with him in this endeavor in the State Senate.”
O’Donnell’s endorsement adds to a broad and growing coalition of early supporters of Min’s State Senate run. Since announcing his candidacy on January 8th, Min has been endorsed by a number of elected officials, local activists, and organizations, including:
- Newport-Mesa Federation of Teachers AFT 1794
- Jenny Bach, California Democratic Party Secretary
- Congressman Ted Lieu
- Congressman Alan Lowenthal
- Congresswoman Judy Chu
- Congressman Scott Peters
- Congressman Mark Takano
- Former California State Senator Ed Hernández
- RL Miller – Chair of California Democratic Party Environmental Caucus
- David Ryu – Los Angeles City Council Member
- Sukhee Kang – Former Irvine Mayor
- MaryAnn Gaido – Former Irvine City Council Member
- Ross Chun – City of Aliso Viejo Mayor Pro Tempore
- Tiffany Ackley – Aliso Viejo City Councilwoman
- Ali Taj – Artesia City Council Member
- Valerie Amezcua – Santa Ana Board of Education
- Andrew Rodriguez – Walnut Mayor Pro Tem
- Sherri Loveland – Tustin community/women’s activist
- Louise Adler – Local women’s leader
- Judge Lynne Riddle (ret.) – Planned Parenthood board, activist, retired federal bankruptcy judge
A full endorsement list can be found HERE.
David Min is a University of California Irvine Law Professor, father of three, and a former economic policy staffer in the United States Senate and for the Center for American Progress. Min began his legal career at the Securities and Exchange Commission to protect the retirement security of seniors, turning down high paying jobs to serve the public interest. He is a leading expert on banking and housing policy.
California State Senate District 37 is located in Orange County and includes the communities of Anaheim, Costa Mesa, Foothill Ranch, Huntington Beach, Irvine, Laguna Beach, Laguna Woods, Newport Beach, Orange, Tustin, and Villa Park.